01 May 2017

SEVENTEEN

One sleepy morning we sat on the front step watching the clouds gather and waving goodbye for the day to Papa, when all the rain that had been threatening for days just finally gave in. Vera begged to run around and play in it. I happily obliged. After five minutes of happy shrieks and puddle jumping they came in and took a hot bubble bath while I did the morning chores. Texas has the magic of spring down perfectly. 

2017 week seventeen
Vera got some new clothes for her birthday. Some of which I sewed for her. While I was working on a couple items one day, she grabbed some extra fabric and took it to her "own sewing machine" to make a blanket for her stuffed giraffe. She was really excited about it. 

 Theo toddled around the house that morning in a puffy cat costume gnawing on a carrot while Frida hopefully trailed him. 

This boy wants to do everything exactly like Veronica does. It is unfortunately a lot of pressure for V to do the right thing all the time, because whenever she slips up he's immediately copying her. Sadly, she might get in trouble two-fold for inspiring naughtiness in her brother. But, in addition to the inspired naughtiness, she has inspired this silly boy's obsession with bows. One is usually not enough either. 

My big four-year-old girl. 

She wanted a birthday braid crown and two bows for her big day. 

All she wanted to do on her birthday is go to the mall to ride the carousel and the coin-operated rides. Because it was her birthday, the carousel gave her, and some friends, a free ride. All you have to do is sign up at the kiosk. It was very exciting. 



Picking out party favors from a sparkly and girly dollar store. 



She got some really lovely gifts for her birthday, but no one will contest that the mermaid swim suit with tail cover up stole the show. She's been wearing it basically nonstop. 



A week or two before her birthday I was watching Marriage, Italian Style. An old Italian movie starring Sophia Loren. It was so good. Even though V couldn't read the subtitles she enjoyed sitting and watching it with me. One scene in particular struck her: the two boys being offered a table full of pastries. When we got to this still from the film V said, "I don't want a cake. I want to eat THAT on my birthday." So, instead of a cake, she got cream puffs. 

My attempt at a strawberry cream filling was lackluster -should have stuck with the classic whipped cream for more than just half of them. But everyone was powdered sugar dusted and happy. 


Her local cousins came over to eat dessert and play after dinner. V spend most of her time affecting this mermaid pose and singing Ariel songs at them while they ran around. 


V got a couple headbands for her birthday and now Theo has a new love. My eyes are saying, "Oh, you're still taking photos." 

Saturday night Matt and I got to drive to Ft. Worth for a music festival. It was fun to walk around in the unseasonably chilly weather, but we were really there for only one reason:

Run the Jewels. It was a fun festival -a fun break from our usual nights out. 

Quotes
"Sometime in the night I'll turn four! I don't know when but I'll sloooooooowly turn four!"

V, "It will be really really hard for me to turn four because I'm only three."
Me, "Will it hurt?"
V, "No."
Me, "Will it tickle?"
V, "Yes, of course!"

"Look I climbed up here all by myself with my sticky toes!"

"Oh look at my precious little eyebrows."





No comments :

Post a Comment