06 March 2017

NINE


Vera was a runner up in a little contest to memorize a poem or song in French. She won a book. She was so excited to get the package in the mail. When she was opening her book she kept saying, "I have to close my eyes!" and then tried to unwrap it. It was unsuccessful. 

2017 week nine

And she really enjoyed reading the book over and over for the rest of that day.  She especially loved that she had the same pair of red sandals as the girl in the story.  Thank you again to The French Library in NOLA.

One of my old college friends has a particular fear of cats watching and plotting against her. When I felt something watching me while I was mowing the lawn, and saw this I had to take a photo and send it to her. This particular cat is the softest cat I've ever had the pleasure to pet, though he does look a little sinister perched on the window like that.



Vera has been really interested in climbing the tree in our front yard this week. It's all she's been talking about. She's very proud of herself. She lives to climb this tree, even though I make her climb down all by herself -even (or especially) when she gets scared and starts to cry. In fact, she's almost more proud of herself when she climbs down in tears. She feels very accomplished. 

My little Dandelion Prince is having to work overtime these days picking all the flowers in our lawn. PS can you spot the wild cilantro growing amidst our clover?

If ever we can't find Theo, he's sure to be right here.

Other than dandelions, we've had our first hint of spring poking through our garden. The bushes and trees are in bloom, the peony is coming back, and our first purple green asparagus has popped its head through the straw.

Friday night we went to a local production of The Little Mermaid with a group of friends. Though V was up WAY past her bedtime she was so good during the play. Well, as good as can be expected. During every scene change (and there were QUITE a few) she loudly asked, 'Is it over now? Is that the end?" I was so glad we got to take photos with the cast afterward. We beelined for Ursula who did such a fantastic job. She was Vera's favorite (my favorite was Scuttle) and even though V was slightly terrified ("I thought she was going to hurt me!) she still wanted to get a photo. It's so funny to watch Vera learn about and discover the world. I'm noticing she gets very withdrawn around large groups and wants to be held a lot. She keeps telling me she's feeling sensitive and shy. It reminds me that even though she's learning to read and add and climb trees and seems so big most of the time, she's still rather small. 

Quotes:

Referring to the other mermaids in the play "I don't like to see those other girls dancing. They are making me feel sensitive and shy." I really couldn't unpack what emotion she was feeling here.

"I am so hungry I could eat a WHOLE potato." Wow.

"It's my first time ever climbing a tree. I've GOT to tell Papa!"

At lunch she was dipping her pear into some mayonnaise. "Mama, this is so delicious you really need to try a bite."
Me- "Please don't make me. That sounds so bad."
V- "I'm sure you'll like it if you try it. We always try one bite Mama."
Me- "*Sigh* You're right. Ok. I'll try a bite."
I regret having to set that example and follow the same rules we set for her. It was so awful. So awful. I think there was a hint of ketchup on my bite as well. *shudder*

We're in the process of getting hard wood floors. We had to go to the floor store a few times. 
Me- "Alright we need to get ready to go. We need to go back to the floor store."
V- "Florida core store or Lord Licorice store?" (floors and decor or lumber liquidators. haha)

Theodore calls Veronica "A-ca-ca" I think as she gets older she will not like that.

"This mean girl does really e-mazing dances. They're so good I want to be her! So I'm being a really mean girl who dances."

Me- "Tell me something you love about me Vera."
V- "I don't understand the question."
Me- "Ok, well I love that you are brave and try to be kind and helpful to your brother and me."
V- "Ok. Well I love that you make me macaroni and cheese."

"Look at my little tear!" Amid crying while climbing down the tree. 






No comments :

Post a Comment