11 July 2016

TWENTY-SEVEN

Cutting watermelon with Papa.

 2016 week twenty-seven

Two weekends in a row we've had surprise thunder storms. Thunder storms are some of my favorite weather, and a surprise thunder storm in July might be the best thing that could happen during a hot summer weekend. This last weekend we were out with Matthew trying to find him some shorts. When we went into one store it was 100 degrees and blue blue sky. When we left that store (empty handed but craving a camping trip. REI can do that to you.) there were thick black clouds rolling toward us at an alarming pace. Texas can move storms across the sky as though they had been bewitched. They move much faster than you think they should/are able to. We hopped into the car and rolled down all the windows to let the suddenly (magically?) chilled air whip us around. Vera was laughing in the back seat seeing our hair whip around so wildly. Matt is a good driver with a steady hand, but even he couldn't hide from us how powerfully the wind was trying to blow us over. Dust, dirt, and debris were scuttling across the freeway. We pulled into the next store just as it was starting to drizzle. But the time we were looking for a spot the rain was falling as quickly and thickly as it could. Matt let us out at the door. I unbuckled everyone from the inside and V was crouching by the door ready for a quick escape. I counted to three and we jumped out, I grabbed Theo and we ran as fast as we could to the doors. V was laughing and splashing in her white dress. We swam through the rain and were instantly chilled in the over air conditioned mall. Matt came sprinting in a few minutes later and we spent the next hour avoiding the rain just walking around -along with at least a thousand other people. The rain was clearly good for business, except for the stores that lost power.  When we got home our backyard was covered in branches, our grill blown as far as the chain would allow with the cover mysteriously missing. Everything was at its best shade of green, and the air was significantly chilled for the evening. Texas has the most magical summer rain storms.


"Mama, take a picture of me holding Glam when Theodore cant grab her!"

Our freezer is packed with as much meat as it can hold. Once I publish this photo, the state of Texas will issue me my "certified resident" card along with a complementary cowboy hat.

Matt installed this over-the-sink light strip. It's my favorite new thing that I keep forgetting is there. The best part about it is that it is motion activated! :)

Beautiful wiggly whiney baby

The three minutes of love for the sprinkler that preceeded the 5 seconds of terror when he crawled too close and couldnt escape the spray.

"Look! Take a photo of me holding Fridi."


We went wild grape picking with grandma! I would write about that, but I'd like to focus more of my stories on positive experiences with my children in tow.

Looking forward to all the jelly that's going to come from these!


Quotes:

"I have such cute little finger paws. Look at me dig with my little fingers and paws!"

Singing a song she named "Weezeler": "First you say 'weezeler' then you say some other words."

"I have a frozen heart, just like Elsa and Anna. And you and Papa have frozen hearts! And Theodore! Every person has a frozen heart!"

Drawing a picture of Matthew in church "Look at Papa, he looks like a nightmare!"

"Reindeers have small little small small tails. Just like turtles!!"

1 comment :

  1. I thought you handled the less than cooperative crowd amazingly well at the grapevines. At least V smiled for the pic when I told her to say 'jelly!'

    ReplyDelete